other resources

Free and independent advice.

Consumerbuild website. ConsumerBuild help with building, renovating and maintaining your home.

EECA Energywise website.Energywise: for practical advice on how you can save energy and money.

For more information and advice on weathertight issues, please contact.

contact us for

Weathertight Services »

Weathertight e-news:

Issue 13 - 28 July 2011

Leaky homes Financial Assistance Package available from 29 July 2011

Building and Construction Minister Maurice Williamson announced today Homeowners will be able to access the government’s leaky homes Financial Assistance Package from 29 July 2011.

Under the package, qualifying homeowners will receive a 25 percent contribution from the Government and may receive 25 percent from their local council.

Homeowners who want to know whether they qualify for the package should visit www.leakyhomes.govt.nz a new part of the website of the Department of Building and Housing.
Homeowners will need to meet a range of criteria to qualify for the Financial Assistance Package.

These criteria include:

  • having an eligible claim as defined in section 8 of the Weathertight Homes Resolution Services Act 2006.
  • having an assessor’s report under the Weathertight Homes Resolution Services Act 2006.

Qualifying claimants will also need to demonstrate they can pay their share of the repair costs, as set out in an agreed repair plan taking into account the amount that will be contributed by the government and any participating local council.

“The best place to start is at www.leakyhomes.govt.nz,” Mr Williamson said.

The Department has developed packs of information for existing claimants. There are three different packs of Information. Please note that existing claimants will have three months from the date of notice in the NZ Gazette to decide whether you wish to apply for the Financial Assistance Package. More information is available at www.leakyhomes.govt.nz